What Does the Bible Say About
“Rethinking Money”Categories: Budgeting, Debt, Finances, Money
A Matter of the Heart
- Proverbs 23:7 – For as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
- This passage was in the context of MONEY!
- Proverbs 23:4-5 "Do not overwork to be rich; because of your own understanding, cease! Will you set your eyes on that which is not? For riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away like an eagle toward heaven."
- Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
- Psalm 62:10 "...if riches increase, do not set your heart on them."
- Luke 8:14 "...but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures..."
- Money isn’t the problem, is it?
- We must be renewed (Ephesians 4:23) and transformed (Rom. 12:1-2) in our minds.
7 Deadly “Money” Sins
- Selfishness (See Nabal, 1 Sam. 25:11, and the rich fool, Luke 12).
- Covetousness (Luke 12:15; Col. 3:5).
- Impulsiveness (Prov. 14:29).
- Impatience (Prov. 13:11; 20:21; 21:5)
- Lack of communication / unity (The virtuous woman and her husband, Prov. 31).
- Ignorance (Prov. 1:5; 22:6-7).
- Failure to plan (Prov. 24:27).
Money is God’s…He lets us use it.
- The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow to it (Prov. 10:22).
- The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof (Psalm 24:1).
- “My God shall supply all your need” (Phil. 4:19).
Money is primarily earned
- Gen. 3:19 – By the sweat of your brow…
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10 – If a man won’t work, neither shall he eat (see also 1 Thessalonians 4.
- See also (1 Thes. 4:11; Acts 20:35; Ephesians 4:28).
Money is not promised equally to everyone.
- Parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30).
- If you work hard, save, invest, plan, and take risks in business, should you not be rewarded more than a person who sits around and waits for the government?
- Social justice and redistribution of wealth is destructive.
- When we do not expect people to work, we cripple our society for generations to come.
Money is a tool
- It is our primary means of doing commerce.
- Make yourselves friends by unrighteous mammon (Luke 16)
- People used money to support:
- Ministry (Luke 8:3; Phil. 4:10-19).
- To support our families (1 Timothy 5:8).
- To support those in need, both Christians and non-Christians (1 Cor. 16:1-3; Gal. 6:10; Eph. 4:28).
- To have a little fun (Eccl. 3:13).
Money must be controlled
- Money is paper and metal, it has no power in and of itself.
- Money does not corrupt.
- Our heart must change before our handling of money will ever change (1 Tim. 6:10)
Our attitude toward money and our use of money affects our fellowship with God
- Luke 16:1-14 – Parable of the unjust steward
- Matthew 25:14-30 – Parable of the talents
- Malachi 3:8-10 – Our giving (Proverbs 3:9-10)
- Haggai 1:3-7; Matthew 6:33 – Our priorities
Practical Tips for Saving Money
- Eat at home.
- Buy used cars.
- Shop at the thrift store.
- Cancel unneeded services.
- Use couponmom.com
- Use cash instead of constantly swiping a card, you can see your money being spent, the visual effect is important.
- Wait for off season to purchase things (buy spring clothes in the fall, Christmas decorations after the holiday).
- Having a good budget.
- Go to the grocery store with a list (don’t go hungry, either!).
- Pay credit cards off every month.
- Making extra principle payments on mortgage.
- Have an emergency fund.